8 WEEK OLD PUPPY
What to expect when you purchase an 8 week old puppy from dark timber kennels.
PUPPIES THAT COME FROM DARK TIMBEr KENNELS GO THROUGH A SELECTION PROCESS. THIS IS THE REASON WE ONLY SELL A FEW OUT OF EACH LITTER RATHER THAN EVERY PUPPY BEING PRE-SOLD. THE REASON FOR THIS IS BOTH SIMPLE AND COMPLICATED. PUPPIES START TO DEVELOP THEIR INWARD PERSONALITIES ABOUT 2 WEEKS AND THEIR OUTWARD PERSONALITIES SOMEWHERE ABOUT 4 WEEKS OLD.
THIS IS WHY OUR TRAINING ACTUALLY BEGINS ALMOST AT BIRTH.
* WE START PICKING UP OUR PUPPIES AND HANDLING THEM PRIOR TO THE OPENING THEIR EYES.
* INTRODUCING THEM TO SOUNDS AND STIMULI AT ROUGHLY 4 WEEKS.
* INTRODUCED TO HARD FOOD AT ROUGHLY AT 4 WEEKS OLD
* BEGIN THE WEANING PROCESS AT 4 1/2 WEEKS
* START TO CRATE TRAIN ABOUT 6 WEEKS
* BEGIN THE SEPARATION PROCESS ABOUT 6 WEEKS
* START RETRIEVING AT 6 WEEKS, TRUG, PULL, PLAY AND RETRIEVE
* introduced TO LIVE AND DEAD BIRDS AT 6 AND 8 WEEKS
* started treat training
* up to date on shots and wormings
WE START OUR SELECTION PROCESS BASED ON THE NEEDS AND WANTS OF OUR CLIENTS AND A REALISTIC EXPECTATION OF WHAT THAT PARTICULAR BREEDING IS EXPECTED TO BE. Because of this selection process, we have experienced a very high satisfaction rate and success rate among our puppy placement process.
when we do a specific pairing, we do so to produce dogs for a specific purpose.
Here are some things to think about when picking a puppy.
* time frame
* what you are going to be doing with your dog.
I.e. hunt, house, test or trial
* how many days a year do you hunt
* how many birds do you puck up a day
* any other type of desire, such as running, hunting open water, etc.
This is just a short list of questions we generally ask before we suggest a specific litter, and as always, if you have a question, please feel free to ask at any time.
DARK TIMBER KENNELS